Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Publishing Process

At first my publisher wanted to do away with the cover flaps, because he wanted to give the book a “novel-like” look. (Flaps are like “wings” of the book cover, and extension which allows extra information such as the story synopsis, or author’s profile to be included) But I disagreed with him. I felt that cover flaps can help to make the book look more sturdy, and make it look more like a “hard-cover” book.

The flaps also help prevent the book cover from being crumpled/dog-eared. In addition for cover flaps, I also requested for the first and last page of the book to be made of red art paper. I feel this will enhance the “quality feel” of the book, and thus increase its perceived value.

Even if all 1,000 copies of the first print-run were sold, we’d only get to break even. The chance of making a loss on this publication is very high. So why do we still go ahead and publish the book? Because the profit would come from the larger print volume (based on economies of scale) on subsequent prints.

I’d like you to give me your support. If you like the book after browsing through it at the bookstore, do buy it. It helps the writer (me!!! ^^) place food on the table.

Thank you. ☺

No comments: