Saturday, September 1, 2007

  1. Chapter Five
  2. I yawned, looking down at my cup of tea before picking it up. After taking a long sip from it, I turned my attention back to the boy across the table. He was talking a mile a minute about his first hunt the previous night. Yawn. I felt myself slipping back into slumber before hearing my name being called.
  3. “What?” I asked.
  4. “You aren’t listening to me,” said the boy with the messy “out-of-bed” hair.
  5. “I’m listening,” I assured. Even though I wasn’t paying attention to every word, he heard everything...unfortunately. “You said that you were at the back alley when you heard faint footsteps trailing behind you.” My answer was rewarded by a grin from the boy who went back to his storytelling. His longwinded story was almost putting me to sleep, I would give anything for divine intervention.
  6. Yes, you’ve guessed right. This young boy was my youngest cousin Aaron. Unfortunately though, I could not sit there and listen to every small detail leading up to the purpose of the story. The others in the house were taking a rest from their hunts, leaving me all alone here to deal with the super- hyper twelve-year-old.
  7. “You look like you need salvation,” a light voice chuckled. Saying a silent prayer, I turned around to find my best friend leaning against the doorway of the dining area of the house.
  8. “Hey! Don’t interrupt me, Sister Yichen!” Aaron chimed. “I was just getting to the best part about the huge demon attacking Jiro, Calvin, and me.”
  9. “I’m sorry to interrupt your story, but I’m going to need your cousin now,” Yichen apologised.
  10. “You’re going on a hunt together, aren’t you?” Aaron said excitedly.
  11. “Well...I have a client and I thought your cousin Wuzun might want to earn a little extra cash, so I suppose we’re going to hunt together,” Yichen shrugged.
  12. “Can I come too?” Aaron asked. “I want to hunt with you guys! Please let me come, I won’t get in the way, I promise!”
  13. “Aaron, this is a very important job,“ Yichen said.
  14. “But I can handle myself!”
  15. “We won’t have time to baby sit you!”
  16. “Let him come along, Yichen,” I said, taking my last sip.
  17. “Wuzun...”
  18. “Aaron is a hunter now,” I said. “He isn’t a child anymore.” Standing up from my seat, I attached my sword to my belt, making sure that it was secure.
  19. “But...” Yichen started again.
  20. “He should be able to handle it,” I said. “He had accomplished a successful hunt just the night before. Remember, we were no older than him when we went out on hunts with your cousin, Jolin, who might I add was no more than a year older than us, remember that?”
  21. “Yes, I do,” Yichen sighed “But one hunt shouldn’t give him much bragging rights, does it?”
  22. “That’s where going on more hunts with challenges comes into play,” I explained. “That’s how he should learn. Now let’s get going.”
  23. Yichen sighed again, knowing this was the end of the conversation. She understood that, when it came to hunting, I was impartial about it. “Fine,” she said, “we’re going to the Grand Hotel on Mount Yuanshan to wait for my client.”
  24. xxxxxxxxxxxx
  25. The Grand Hotel is a famous landmark located atop Mount Yuanshan overlooking Taipei City. I walked up to the hotel’s lounge-pub, immediately recognizing the man with deep-set eyes and wavy hair behind the bar talking to a girl with short brown hair. That man is “Jay” Zhou Jielun, the owner of this pub, Fantasy. When Jay noticed the two of us, he brokeaway from his conversation to greet us with his usual cool smile. “Well, isn’t that Wuzun and Yichen? Hey, I haven’t seen you two around here in a while. Been busy?”
  26. “No more than usual, Jay,” Yichen said, taking a seat.
  27. Jay’s eyes noticed Aaron, grinning at the boy. “And you have Aaron in town. That must mean that he’s gone on his first hunt now.”
  28. “Don’t get him started,” Yichen groaned. “He won’t stop.”
  29. “Well, I’m sure it was pretty exciting for him,” Jay said. “It was his first hunt after all. Seems the only one in the house left is your sister, Wuzun. And I’m pretty sure that big brother is training her well too,” the pub-owner chuckled.
  30. “Well,” I said. “I’m doing as best as I can.”
  31. “So, what shall I get you?”
  32. “I suppose we should drink something light,” Yichen said. “We are meeting a client here after all. Just make it Vodka Lime.”
  33. “Bourbon Coke for me,” I said.
  34. “I want some too!” Aaron chimed.
  35. “No,” I said sternly.
  36. “Why not?” Aaron pouted.
  37. “Because you haven’t mastered the drunk hunter ability yet,” Yichen joked. “That’s how most hunters end up in early graves.”
  38. “The real reason,” I interrupted, “is that a hunter has to be able to react to situation instantly. Alcohol slows your reaction and clouds your judgment, especially to inexperienced boys like you.”
  39. “Meaning, kill about fifty vampires and you can drink all you want,” Yichen grinned.
  40. “What an interesting theory,” a voice said. I turned around to find a young man with short silvery hair, accompanied by a young woman with short black hair. They were dressed in matching black and white clothing.
  41. “If these aren’t my two favourite vultures. Bailei, Sanba, greetings to you on this lovely evening,” I said sarcastically. These two were hunters, but they never found their own hunts - they simply made profit by stealing other hunters’ hard work and claiming it as their own.
  42. Once they thought they could take the credit for one of the vampires I painstakingly hunted for weeks. Only when the vampire proved to be still alive, they were so unprepared for the surprise. I enjoyed seeing the couple shivering on their knees as the vampire cornered them. Nevertheless, I decided to save them when I thought the vampire was going to kill them. They may have been a little battered, but they survived. And I picked up the bounty that I deserved in the first place.
  43. “Vultures?” Bailei said amusingly. “My dear, dear Wuzun. We are not vultures. We are opportunist who make our money anyway necessary.”
  44. “Even if it means stealing quarry,” Sanba smirked.
  45. “Whatever you say,” I yawned. “So, what do you want?”
  46. “What do we want?” Bailei said with mocked surprise. “We came to drink like other people. We have no interior motives today.”
  47. “I’ll bet my last dollar,” Yichen snorted, “that you only show up when you hear someone has a profitable bounty.”
  48. “Tsk tsk. Yichen, such harsh words for us,” Sanba said. “We’d never do that to the Baifenbai Family nor Feilunhai Family.”
  49. “Again?” I added.
  50. “That was when we didn’t know each other so well,” Bailei said.
  51. “If you had a chance you would do it again, if that didn’t mean suffering a little blood loss,” Yichen hissed. “You’re a shameless opportunist!”
  52. “Tsk tsk, such unkind words from you,” Bailei said. “I suppose we will have to take our leave now. Sanba, let’s go.”
  53. “Alright, this is our good-bye for the evening, “ Sanba said. “Enjoy your alcohol and make sure not to get yourselves killed out there.” She gave us a wink before following Bailei away from the bar. Yichen watched the two leave, making sure that they were well out of sight.
  54. “A leopard never changes its spots,” Jay said, setting three glasses on the counter in front of us. “I’ve got lime juice for Aaron.”
  55. “Thanks Jay,” Yichen smiled. I took my glass of Bourbon Coke and relaxed until Yichen’s contact came with the job we’d be doing for the night. Hhmm… I wondered what tonight would bring for us.
  56. xxxxxxxxxxxx
  57. I sat and leaned against a tree, my trusty sword at my side. So this was the so-called grand plan they were going to execute? Sitting around near the client’s mansion waiting for the pack of hellhounds to kill them? It would take who-knows-how-long for the pack to sniff there way back around this area. That was, if they ever returned. Hellhounds were only known to hit up a place once, before moving on to a new hunting group. For all that anyone knew, they were long gone now.
  58. And how did I let Yichen talk me into helping her again? This is a real waste of my time, I thought. Bored as I was, I pulled my sword out to inspect the edge. In the moonlight, the silvery blade shone bright, casting an almost angelic light upon the field of grass. This sword originated from my great grandfather. And now the weapon belonged to me. It was the first weapon that helped me slay a vampire.
  59. “That’s a beautiful weapon,” a familiar silky voice said. “It’s hard to find a sword like this these days.”
  60. “What?” Getting into a defensive position, I found the aristocratic vampiress from the other night sitting on the edge of the branch provocatively. When did you--?
  61. Chapter Six
  62. “When did I get here?” Shaohan completed Wuzun’s sentence. Jumping off the tree branch, the vampiress landed on her feet gracefully. “I’ve been watching you for some time. I just made sure you didn’t notice me.”
  63. “You what? What do you want from me, you bloodthirsty creature?!” Wuzun growled. If it was true that the vampiress had been watching him for a while and he didn’t notice...why hadn’t she attacked Wuzun? Wasn’t she thirsty for blood?
  64. “Bloodthirsty creature? Is that what you call of us? Are we not like you?” Shaohan inquired.
  65. “Of course you’re not! You’re an abomination of God. The Devil’s spawn that exists to taint the souls of mortals, you have no place on this Earth. As one of God’s warriors, I will send you back to Hell where you will never be able to test the will of man.”
  66. “Will of man? God’s warriors? Devil’s spawn? Oh, you are truly amusing, my dear hunter. Tell me...since you are ‘one of God’s warriors’ what has God done for you as of late? I mean, the last time I checked, he hasn’t given you a divine life. You are nothing but a murderer. The ‘creatures’ you have killed were once human. If we are truly monsters, then how is it that you get stuck with the blood on your hands? How is that you hunters are killed by us, ‘creatures’? Tell me that Wuzun,” Shaohan said, walking up toward the slayer.
  67. “How do you know my name?” Wuzun demanded, caught off guard by this lapse. Why wasn’t this thing attacking him, and why was he allowing her to come closer while he took steps back?
  68. “Ah, so you are Wuzun indeed. I wasn’t sure about your name, but they told me you’re the only hunter in the Feilunhai Family that hunts alone these days,” Shaohan smiled, as usual those white points gleaming in the light. “Wuzun...that’s a beautiful name.”
  69. “Stay back!” Wuzun said, raising his sword in front of him. Poomph! He found the vampire had disappeared from sight, only to appear behind him. Gripping Wuzun’s arm, Shaohan twisted it, causing the sword to drop from his hands. With her other hand, the young aristocratic vampiress turned the hunter’s face to look at her.
  70. “Release me,” Wuzun said.
  71. “You know...Wuzun, you have such beautiful charming eyes. Beautiful deep-set azure eyes like the summer sky. I rarely watch the days nothing truly marvelous about it. But at night, you see so much. You know, the night fits you so well. Wrapping you in the most seductive suit that’s ever tempted me,” Shaohan replied huskily as she leaned in closer to the struggling hunter. “Why struggle, I promise not to hurt you.”
  72. “Release me!” This was just the way he wanted things to end...yeah right. He would be a disappointment to the family if his end came because he allowed his hated prey to move in on him. That was a mistake someone experience would make. But something called to this vampiress, this seductive and sensual vampire that he found himself struggling less and less against.
  73. “You’re not resisting anymore, that’s a good thing,” Shaohan smirked. She leaned in closer, quietly sniffing the alluring fragrance that surrounded this hunter. What was it about him that beckoned Shaohan to take every drop of this hunter in and never let him go? “Do you have any idea of how much you’ve tempted me?”
  74. Shaohan leaned in closer, her sultry lips lightly touching Wuzun’s. Dipping out her tongue, she ran the wet object over the hunter’s lips. A short cry escaped Wuzun’s mouth, allowing Shaohan to move in closer, exploring the wet cavern that tasted every bit like her lover who was killed by that band of hunters. But why?
  75. Wuzun’s reason was slowly deteriorating from him as his blood yearned for more of Shaohan’s kiss. A moan slipped away, feeling a hand sliding down his chest, reaching under his shirt to touch the hot skin there. Shaohan broke the kiss, loving the quiet mewls from her captured hunter. Oh how easy it was when his blood wanted this, overlapped any rational thought in his head, and made him react to Shaohan’s move.
  76. “Be mine tonight, my lovely hunter,” Shaohan whispered into Wuzun’s ear as she slid her tongue over the contour, leaving a wet trail around the rim of the ear. The hunter shivered from the action, his body flooding over with this indescribable emotion that pulsed in the back of his mind mercilessly.
  77. “I...” Hazy azure eyes stared up into the auburn tint of those crimson eyes. Shining in the moon with lust and want.
  78. “Say it and I will do it,” Shaohan murmured, leaning in again to kiss his hunter.
  79. “WUZUN!” That was enough to break Wuzun from whatever spell the vampire cast on him. Pulling away, he went to retrieve his sword. Looking up, he found that the vampiress was gone. A minute later, Yichen came running up, staring at her best friend. “Hey, I was calling you a while ago!”
  80. “Huh...? Oh...sorry, I didn’t hear you,” Wuzun mumbled, sheathing his sword.
  81. “Hey...are you alright? You look pale,” Yichen said.
  82. “I’m fine, what is it that you wanted?” Wuzun panted lightly. What just happened to him? Was he about to let that vampire...?
  83. “I...” Yichen didn’t know what was wrong, but something happened. She could tell when she sensed the change in Wuzun’s energy. A dark, powerful feeling that pulsed in her mind. Now, it was gone, as if it never existed. “I just wanted to know if you’re doing fine over here. I’d just checked on Aaron not too long ago. He’s coping well too.”
  84. “That’s good to hear.”
  85. “Wuzun, you sure you’re okay?” Yichen questioned, her concern growing. “If you’re still tired from the previous hunt, you can call it a night and leave. I’ll make sure I keep Aaron out of trouble if anything happens, and make sure he returns home safely.”
  86. “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine,” Wuzun stood up, pushing a stray strand of hair out of the way. “It’s nothing, really. Don’t worry about me.”
  87. “Okay.” Yichen moved away from Wuzun’s side and headed back to her post to keep watch. Whatever it was that got Wuzun upset, he wasn’t about to tell Yichen a thing about it. At least not now.
  88. xxxxxxxxxx
  89. Yichen fixed her eyes on Wuzun while they were walking along Yangde Boulevard, on their way back to the Feilunhai household. She wanted to make sure that her best friend was really alright. After Yichen sensed that change in Wuzun’s energy, she made certain she stayed close by. Watching for any signs of the vampire slayer’s life energies reading well on a level that was close to supernatural. That was the part that Yichen couldn’t understand.
  90. How was it that Wuzun...for those brief minutes, felt like...something supernatural? Yichen could always sense something special about the other since the time they were still kids, but she dismissed it as the power of his family. Now...Yichen didn’t know. Wuzun was the first and only person in the Feilunhai Family she had ever felt that sort of pull from. Was it because she was connected to Wuzun more than the others? Or was it that they didn’t have it, or if they did, they hid it from his sixth sense?
  91. What is it about you Wuzun? Yichen thought, her eyes still watching him. Why is it that you have that feel?
  92. “Yichen,” Wuzun said after a minute.
  93. “Huh? Yeah!” Yichen blinked a few times to clear her thoughts. Wuzun wasn’t looking at her as he kept his eyes on Aaron who was ahead of them.
  94. “I know that you think you felt something earlier that night, but it was nothing,” Wuzun remarked. “I’m still tired, so my readings were off, okay?”
  95. ‘Damn! I didn’t think I was that transparent!’ Yichen flushed, looking away from Wuzun momentarily. “I was just worried, I’m sorry. But you really did scare me earlier.”
  96. “I’m fine,” Wuzun assured. But he wasn’t. He didn’t believe that lie one bit. Something did happen to him earlier that night. He sensed it, and Yichen sensed it too. It had to do with that vampiress...that seductress who confused him with her sensual advances. Up until now, all the vampires he had killed never acted this way towards him. They only thought of him as a meal, never as an object of want and lust.
  97. Even now he could still feel Shaohan’s tongue running so seductively over his lips, asking for access once again. He could still feel that touch, that erotic touch against his skin that burned for everything the vampiress was offering him. ‘Why the hell did I just let her touch me like that! I’m not some novice hunter, I should know better than that!’
  98. This was going to bother Wuzun for some time to come. It didn’t make sense. The vampiress didn’t want to kill him, and Wuzun could have killed her easily too. It was as simple as that. Yet, there was just this thing about that vampiress...and about Wuzun that remained a mystery for the time being. Wuzun needed to know what it was. Was he in love with the female creature? That couldn’t be it.
  99. Then why did he allow her to come so close, to touch him, to kiss him, to seduce him and subdue him in that fashion? ‘No! That can’t be it! I hate its kind. My parents are dead because of its kind. Hundreds of people have suffered losses because of those creatures. The only thing that’s wrong with me is that I’ve suppressed my sexual urges for so long that they were bound to awaken some time.’ That had to be it.
  100. The vampiress, Wuzun admitted, was very beautiful. She always had that coquettish half smirks, which flashed off her fangs. The flickering of those big luscious eyes holding a tint of auburn amongst the crimson. Wuzun supposed the vampiress was the first he ever noticed whose eyes were more than just crimson. In the light of the moon, they seemed to shine like precious stones. Not to mention the flow and sensuality of her wavy long hair that gave her an elegant looking personality.
  101. The red satin gown she wore accentuated the curves of her body, probably tempting even the most devout of monks and priests left in Taiwan. Closing his eyes momentarily, Wuzun remembered the outfit the creature had on that night. Red satin gown with antique silver buttons, and lace-full petticoat. Completing her attire was a full length lace-trimmed black crushed panne that concealed her feet.
  102. If only she wasn’t a vampiress...surprisingly, Wuzun could feel the corners of his mouth rise in a short smirk - he was sure Yichen had noticed. So now it seemed...even he, Wuzun, had a weak spot. Perhaps Wuzun really was in love with this vampiress, but he couldn’t let that get in the way of his life mission. Ridding the world of creatures like that so that no one else could be tempted in the same way as him.
  103. “Wuzun...” Yichen bit her lip, not wanting to disturb her friend, but wondering what on Earth he could be thinking about? That was the first time that Rei had ever seen Wuzun smile like that. In a way, it made Rei jealous because he had never been able to make the red head smile like that since they knew each other.
  104. “What?” Wuzun opened his eyes, seeing the fluttering emotions within the eyes of his best friend. Was that look in Yichen’s eyes a sign of jealousy? This was probably the first time he’d ever seen it.
  105. “I was wondering,” Yichen asked hesitantly. “what are you thinking about?”
  106. “Not much. Just things,” Wuzun responded.
  107. “Things...like what?”
  108. “Just things.”
  109. “Things? Are you sure you aren’t thinking about some---“ Yichen’s question was interrupted by Aaron’s high pitched voice.
  110. “Hey guys! Come look at this!” Both Yichen and Wuzun looked at each other before heading toward the direction of Aaron’s voice. When they reached him, they found him gawking at a pair of scantily-clad women, dancing around a portable stereo, playing dance tracks in loud blasts. The two hunters crouched behind a tree, observing what was going on. “What...are they doing out in the park this late at night?”
  111. “First lesson that you should learn, you are bound to see anything this late at night,” Yichen said, shaking her head, still watching the two women dance. “I doubt though, they are normal women.”
  112. “What are they then?” Aaron asked.
  113. “Do you notice the clothing that they are wearing? Or in this case, barely wearing?” Wuzun pointed out. “The pattern of their attire, it’s stripped.”
  114. “Meaning?” Aaron blinked.
  115. “It goes back to that really old Chinese mythical folklore way back centuries ago. But in this case, they aren’t myths,” Yichen said.
  116. “Which is?” Aaron said.
  117. “They’re known as Yaojing, mythological Chinese demons, or in this case disguised ogres that draw out unknowing humans with their charm. They hunger for the flesh and blood of humans and only reveal their true forms when they are ready to kill their prey. I thought by now there weren’t anymore left. I thought Tongtong had destroyed all of them, since her family is a group of ogre slayers,” Wuzun said.
  118. “Haven’t you heard?” Yichen said.
  119. “Heard what?”
  120. “Tongtong mistook a thunder serpent in the guise of a child for an ogre,” Yichen remarked.
  121. “That idiot got herself killed, didn’t she? That’s probably why I haven’t heard anything from her on my back about taking it easy when I go hunting. Oh well, come on. Let’s get this over with then.” Wuzun stood up from where he was, walking into the clearing towards the women.
  122. “Wuzun! I don’t know how to fight a Yaojing!” Aaron shouted, following his cousin.
  123. “Neither do I, but we’re going to learn tonight,” Wuzun said, while unleashing his sword from the sheath.
  124. “And didn’t you say that Tongtong’s an idiot?” Yichen grinned as she readied her weapon for battle too. After not getting any action at her client’s mansion, Yichen was craving for this chance.
  125. Chapter Seven
  126. Shaohan leaned back against her smooth leathery chair, a crystal cup in her hands while she was deep in her thoughts. Occasionally she would swirl the scarlet liquid in the cup, place it to her lips, drink, and then return to her thoughts. From time to time, there was a slight twitch on her lips widening into a smile of a past memory. Wuzun filled every corner of her mind. He almost belonged to her that night. But that female hunter had interrupted and spoiled the chance.
  127. Shaohan could tell that the female hunter cared very much for Wuzun. Were they already a romantic couple? It wouldn’t matter since Shaohan had decided that Wuzun would be hers. It shouldn’t take too much convincing. After all, if she had not been interrupted earlier, Wuzun would have said it. Wuzun wanted her - Shaohan could sense it from the energy that flowed through the slayer’s body.
  128. As long she could get Wuzun to say it, every night she would wake to those pair of charming deep-set eyes she had grown fond of so much. Wuzun would adore Shaohan and offer his body without hesitation. “I suppose though, that’s too much to ask for now. He does hate that which in so closely tied to mortal history.” Raising her cup to her wet lips again, Shaohan drained the contents down her throat, setting the cup down when finished.
  129. “Shaohan!!!” There was a long wail coming into the dining room that only had to be Jiukong. With a sigh, Shaohan wiped her mouth sensually and uncrossed her sculpted legs to turn to the sound of the voice. As she suspected, the blue haired vampire was storming into the room, tears filling his crimson eyes.
  130. “May I ask what is it this time, Jiukong?” Shaohan sighed, visibly impatient.
  131. Jiukong didn’t say a word as he crossed his arms. Shaohan sat back, staring at the pouting half-breed. “You went out again without me! I know that you went to see that...that hunter!”
  132. “True, I did go to see Wuzun,” Shaohan remarked. “I couldn’t resist the allure of those piercing blue eyes. You know what, Jiukong? They are absolutely more beautiful than yours.”
  133. “No humans eyes are more beautiful than mine! Especially not some damn hunters!” the big-nosed vampire shouted angrily. “I won’t let him have you no matter what. I don’t care what you say. You’re mine! After that day you saved me from being killed, I knew that it was destiny for us to be together. You were the first one that ever paid attention to me despite the fact that my blood isn’t as pure as yours.”
  134. “I saved you that day because I had pity on you, and because I wanted to kill that human,” Shaohan explained. “It had nothing to do with destiny, nor some stupid wishful thinking like that.”
  135. “You can say that now, but I know the truth Shaohan,” Jiukong said, leaning forward, placing one hand on Shaohan’s shoulder, trying to leverage for a kiss. “I know what you really think of me.” Closing his eyes, Jiukong tried to press his lips to Shaohan’s. When Jiukong opened them, he realised Shaohan had blocked the kiss with her two fingers. Sadly, the big-nosed creature pulled back, only to see the vampiress smirking with amusement.
  136. “You should know this, Jiukong. Wuzun’s lips are cushier than yours. They’re so luscious I could kiss him forever. You should hear the way he moans when I have my tongue stroke every inch of his mouth,” Shaohan said matter-of-factly.
  137. “Shut up about that stupid hunter! He’s not worthy of you!”
  138. “And what makes you think you are, Jiukong?” Shaohan shoved Jiukong onto the long royal oak table. Her eyes flared a darker crimson as she stared down at Jiukong. “Get it through your head, you stupid half-breed I will never love you. Not in this lifetime, nor a next one. So find someone else to whine to, I’m tired of it.”
  139. “But Shaohan...”
  140. “Shut up, I’m in love with Wuzun, not you. I want him, not you. He will be my lover, not you. Get over it and grow up!” Moving her eyes away from Jiukong, Shaohan catwalked out of the dining room, leaving Jiukong to fume.
  141. “How...how dare...that hunter...how dare he take what’s rightfully mine! I will kill him even if it means my life. And then Shaohan will come back to me and I will be the only one that she loves.”
  142. Chapter Eight
  143. I tossed all my gear on my bed and stripped myself off my soiled clothing. I stared at the pile of tattered, bloody clothes. Oh dear, Ah-Ma would be in a fit she knew I went through another outfit in just a week. But hey, how was I supposed to know that killing ogres was tougher than it looked? I just discovered that ogres were really evil when pissed off. Anyway, if it weren’t for the fact that Aaron was enough of a distraction allowing me to rush in and carve out the creatures’ hearts, I would probably have had to run from the battle. Well, I suppose that should be a well enough lesson for my young cousin to know about more than just the vampires. Because you never know what you will come up against. Walking over to the large tub of hot water that Ah-Ma had prepared for me to bathe in, I was about to dip my foot into it when there was a knock on the door.
  144. “Wuzun?” It was Yichen’s voice. The door opened, and immediately I saw her face flushing by the embarrassment. “I’m sorry!”
  145. “What is it now, Yichen?” I asked, submerging myself in the water. I turned my eyes toward Yichen, who was still looking away. “Don’t worry, I’m submerged in the water already.”
  146. “Oh! Sorry!” Yichen slipped into my room, closing the door.
  147. “Earlier today, you wanted to ask me something,” I said. “What was it about?” I could see Yichen flushed, staring wide eyed up at me.
  148. “I...I...”
  149. “You what Yichen?” I said. “What is it that you want? I don’t know what you’re thinking all the time, and even if I do now, I want you to say it.”
  150. “Tell me, are you in love with someone?” Yichen asked.
  151. “Because of the way that I smiled tonight? I guess I am in love that vampiress,” I joked.
  152. “Oh.” Yichen lowered her lashes. “I’m happy for you.”
  153. “Hey, you know I’m just kidding, right?” I said. “Humans can’t be with vampires, Yichen. We...are two different people that things could never work out with. So, I have to forget about her.”
  154. “But...it’s not a question of your occupation or whether it may be stopping you from being together, it’s a question of whether or not you want to be with her and open yourself up to someone other than me,” Yichen sighed. “I love you yes...but I will let you go if you will be happy.”
  155. “You just don’t understand, it’s not that...she’s a vampiress, okay,” I said. I watched Yichen’s eyes widen. “I don’t know what it is about her, but I...hell, I don’t even know what it is. There’s just this feeling when she’s there. I can’t be with her, because I will have to kill her.”
  156. “What’s this vampire like?” Yichen pressed on eagerly for an answer. “I suppose you saw her earlier tonight, right? When I was calling you and you didn’t answer?”
  157. “What does it matter?” I said, trying to betray my own eyes. “We aren’t going to be together, so I shouldn’t think about her or say how gorgeous her eyes were in the moonlight. And her smile, or how her gown fits so perfectly on her.”
  158. “I suppose that tells me that I have some competition, don’t I?” Yichen said, reaching a hand up to brush away a strand of my hair. “I don’t want you to try to love me out of attachment or to deny your feelings against the vampiress, but I won’t lose you either. I’m going to win your love without killing her. Through a fair competition.”
  159. “Yichen...”
  160. “Don’t worry, it would hurt more if you bedded me now only to get her out your head. Even though...” Yichen let her eyes wander down, another flush creeping up on her cheeks. “It would be worth it.”
  161. Surprised by her words, I quickly moved up, wrapping a towel around my waist, and pointed to the door. “You’re getting too emotional now, Yichen. I think you better go now.”
  162. Yichen pouted her lips. Pulling herself up, she dragged herself out the door, closing it behind her. Sigh. How the hell had I gotten myself tangled up in this “catch-22” situation in the first place?
  163. Chapter Nine
  164. 89K Pub, Chung Ming South Road
  165. Central District, Taichung City
  166. By 10:30 P.M., 89K Pub was fully packed. Scantily-clad “beer ladies” waded through the crowd with pitchers of Taiwan Beer, pouring for anyone who held out an empty glass mug that bore the trademark. (Taiwan Beer is the most popular brand of beer in Taiwan.) Four hunters sitting at a crowded table were playing cards.
  167. “Hey,” the young hunter with a scar on his forehead said. The other three hunters looked up from their hands and arched an eyebrow to one another with contemplation. The hunter with the scar was in his mid twenties, focused on another table behind them. “I’ve never seen that hunter before, who is he?”
  168. “What hunter?” a hunter with tattoos all over his body inquired.
  169. “That one right there,” pointed the first hunter. The other three hunters turned to the table behind them where Wuzun was sitting. His eyes were closed as he leaned back in the chair, listening to the woman on the stage singing in front of a live band. In his hand was a glass of scotch whiskey. He took sips from it, before placing it back on the table.
  170. “A new hunter, I suppose Xiongba,” stated a hunter with short tousled brown hair.
  171. “How is it that we haven’t been given word on him?” the hunter named Xiongba said, chewing a betel nut. “We are the top hunters in Taichung City, no one can move in on our territory without first acknowledging us.”
  172. “Maybe he’s passing through,” said another, this one’s name being Duogui. This group of men were the hunters in the city of Taichung, southwest of Taipei where Wuzun was from. Underneath their supposed code of hunters, they were nothing but thugs that had the sole licence and monopoly to the hunting industry in Taichung City. Hunters who operated in this area had to pay them a fee for what they caught.
  173. The leader of this monopolistic band of thugs was named Xiongba. Incidentally, he’s also the son of the city’s mayor. (That’s how he got the monopolistic rights.) The men with him were Duogui, Xiongba’s right-handed man who kept notes on all the other hunters that wanted to hunt in the area. The man with short tousled hair was called Moxin, Xiongba’s main muscle that got the other hunters to “cooperate” with their order and rule, backed by the hunter with the shortest height whose name was Caitou. They all spoke with a heavy Taiwanese accent.
  174. “I want to know who he is,” Xiongba said. “And, I don’t like the way he acts. So aloof, as if he could care less about whose turf he’s sitting in.”
  175. “And look at the weapon he’s carrying around,” nodded Caitou. The three hunters shifted their eyes to the sword that was resting against the wall beside Wuzun.
  176. “A slayer’s sword, and it looks like it’s in great condition. There’s hardly anyone around that makes that great a quality a weapon by just the look of it. I wonder how he got a piece like that,” Moxin wondered.
  177. “I bet that brat carries it around for show,” Caitou smirked. “He wouldn’t know how to use a weapon like that.”
  178. “I say we go over and have a word with him.” Setting down their cards, the four hunters got up from their table, making their way over to the young Feilunhai heir. Currently, Wuzun didn’t pay any attention to the approaching group, as his mind was preoccupied with questions he had yet to answer.
  179. This bustling pub was a stop-off point from where Wuzun had been on his way back home toward Taipei city. A week ago, one of his cousins that hunted out in this area sent a letter to his Yangming Park home, asking for his immediate help with a pack of vampires that were heading his way. Packing his things, Wuzun left on his mission, and was now just returning a week and a half later. The trip away helped to get his thoughts off the romantic issues he had with Yichen and that aristocratic vampiress.
  180. But… thoughts of the seductive vampiress were coming back. The glint of her inviting crimson eyes, the flash of those white fangs that curled her lips up into that sensual smirk, and the red and black satin gown. Wuzun doubted that just anyone could get away with a stunning outfit like that.
  181. How the hell did this happen? Wuzun thought. What makes this vampiress different, and why, of all people, a vampiress? Couldn’t it have been human at least?
  182. With a sigh, Wuzun opened his eyes, picking up his glass of scotch. Lifting his eyes, he found four men staring at him intently. Gulping the alcohol down his throat, Wuzun placed the glass down. Studying each one carefully, sizing them up, he figured that if needed, he could take them all on.
  183. “Is there a problem, gentlemen?” Wuzun said coolly.
  184. “No problem,” Caitou said. “We were just curious, that’s all.”
  185. “Curious? About what, I’m no threat to anyone here,” Wuzun said. “I’m just passing through the area on my way home. I didn’t think that I would be suspected of more than a drink.”
  186. “You’re just passing through?” Caitou asked. “From where?”
  187. “I just came from Qingshui Town. I have a cousin that lives in that area. Now, I’m on my journey home to Taipei. I hope that answers your questions about me.”
  188. “Not quite. Qingshui, huh, what were you doing out that way?” Xiongba remarked. A pair of eyes turned to him, narrowing with annoyance.
  189. “That’s my personal business,” Wuzun asserted. “Sorry, but I’m a very private person about my affairs. Now if you would excuse me, I think I should be moving on.” Wuzun was about to get up, when Xiongba placed a heavy hand on his shoulder, keeping him detained in the chair. Four pairs of eyes glared down at him. “Is there something else you, gentlemen want?”
  190. “You’re a smart little one, aren’t you? You think you’re a hunter, huh?” Caitou stated, his eyes staying on the boy before him.
  191. “Well, I think the hundred and so vampires that I’ve slain would think of me as one,” Wuzun proudly replied.
  192. “A hundred vampires? You expect us to believe that load of crap?” Moxin demanded. “You’re no older than seventeen, it’s impossible for a kid like you to have killed over a hundred vampires by now.”
  193. “Actually, in a few weeks I’ll be eighteen, so I’m not quite a child as you say,” Wuzun corrected, receiving a glare from Moxin. “You don’t have to believe what I tell you. I’m just a child in your eyes, after all. Now would you kindly release me from this chair?”
  194. “I’ll make a deal with you, kid,” Xiongba said. “I’ll have my friends release you under one condition.”
  195. “Which is?” Wuzun said wearily. He had no clue what this man was about to say, nor did he have a good feeling about it.
  196. “That sword you’re carrying, give it to me. A child like you shouldn’t be handling such a priceless weapon. You’ll only end up dulling the blade.”
  197. “My sword...”
  198. “Exactly, give me the blade and you may walk away.” Xiongba expected Wuzun to begin protesting about the sword being in his family for a long time, or he got it from his master, but instead he sat back, smirking.
  199. “And what would a moron like you do with my sword?” The few people that noticed the commotion fell silent towards the teenager’s insolent reply. Others who had only been paying the conversation the smallest amount of attention stopped everything they were doing to gape at Wuzun. Whispers circulated around the pub, knowing that this kid had picked the wrong people to start a fight with. Xiongba and his group were notorious for getting what they want at whatever cost, be it a fight, or by Xiongba’s parents’ influential position in the city.
  200. Xiongba glared at the teen seated in the chair, his eyes growing dark with fury. “What did you say to me?”
  201. “I—said—what—would—a—moron—like—you—do--with—my—sword,” Wuzun repeated, carefully enunciating every single word. “Did I mumble the first time around? I’m sorry, I hope you heard me this time around.”
  202. “Do you know who I am?” Xiongba growled.
  203. “Some imbecilic hunter who probably has never been outside this city, let alone used a weapon to kill before. From the way you’re acting, I say you’re some powerful figure’s pampered son, who thinks he can have what he wants from other people who are suppose to be afraid of his father. Sorry but I’m not the type of person whose impressed by status to give up my most trusted possession,” Wuzun replied, smacking Moxin’s hand from his shoulder, then standing up. “Do excuse me, but I have things to do.”
  204. The four men were left speechless. They couldn’t believe this kid actually had the audacity to defy them. Watching him attach the sword to his belt, their eyes followed him as he rounded the table heading for the exit door. Seconds ticked away before they snapped out of their drunken stupor. Caitou was the first to react, pulling out his broad sword, running after Wuzun.
  205. “Stop right there!” Caitou roared. “You think you can get away with insulting us like that? I’ll slice you into halves!”
  206. Wuzun glanced back, slowly sliding his hand down to his sword. As the shortie swung the blade, Wuzun slid back, pulling his sword from the sheath and deflecting the blow. Wuzun raised the sword to Caitou’s neck before the others could react. Caitou felt a bead of sweat roll down his cheek.
  207. “The next time, if you want to attack me, you should be a little more quiet about it. Any true hunter knows that the more noise you make, the less you’ll be able to catch your prey off guard.” As Wuzun was about to finish his sentence, he spontaneously evaded a swooshing blade that was aimed toward his shoulder. Bringing his sword up in a quick defence, he stared at his attacker, Moxin. Asserting his eyes, Wuzun felt a smile approach as a thin stream of blood trickled down his face.
  208. “I’m impressed you were able to escape from the attack so swiftly. You sensed the danger and were able to come out alive with only that small scratch. You’re not a novice after all,” Moxin chuckled.
  209. “And you’re not so bad yourself. You’re the first person in a long time that has nipped me like that, let alone nearly succeeded an attack. Your swordfighting skill suggests that you’re not like the others at all,” Wuzun said, wiping the blood from his face. Gripping the hilt of his sword, Wuzun readied himself to a showdown with Moxin.
  210. “I suppose I’m not. So, have you got a name, kid?” Moxin remarked, raising his sword in a defensive stance.
  211. “It’s impolite to ask a name before you give your own,” Wuzun said. The athletic looking hunter found that he liked Wuzun more and more, reminding himself of his youthful days. Be it his sword-wielding skills, or his attitude and demeanor, tt was rare to find a teenager like him. He wasn’t just your typical boy-next-door.
  212. “The name’s Yan Moxin,” Moxin gave his worthy opponent a respectful nod.
  213. “Moxin, eh?” Wuzun said. “So, I finally meet that hunter whose record I passed a while ago. You made quite a name for yourself when I was still a child. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
  214. “I see. I’ve heard a lot about you too,” Moxin said. “You’re Wuzun, the heir of the legendary Feilunhai Family. Indeed you have surpassed my records. And I find it an honour to meet you too.”
  215. “Moxin!” Xiongba shouted, pulling out his sword.
  216. “No, stay out of this Xiongba. This kid isn’t someone to be trifled with. You’ve seen for yourself how easily he dodged Caitou’s attack,” Moxin stated, keeping his eyes on Wuzun. “And you should stay out of it too, Caitou. You were lucky he didn’t strike at you.”
  217. “Don’t let your pride get in the way,” Caitou warned, putting up his sword.
  218. “Pride? That’s the last thing I would ever do,” Moxin grinned. “Pride is the Number One cause of a hunter’s downfall.”
  219. “Well said by someone who once hunted,” said Wuzun. “What made you quit?”
  220. “Of course, I had my reasons,” Moxin said.
  221. “Fine. Just be clear that I won’t go easy on you because of your reputation.”
  222. “I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Moxin nodded.