Saturday, September 1, 2007

  1. Chapter Thirteen
  2. The light knock on the oak door caused Shaohan to look up from the romance novel she was reading. Lifting her ruby coloured eyes from the prose, she watched Zongxian walk into the room. Shaohan leaned back in her cushy chair, marking the book before closing it to stare at her friend. From the look on his face, the vampiress could tell that Zongxian had something interesting on his mind.
  3. “Hi, Xian-ge,” Shaohan gave the older vampire a formal nod.
  4. “Shaohan,” Zongxian nodded in response. Shaohan continued to stare at the elder until she noticed a grin on his lips. That could only mean one thing.
  5. “I suppose there’s something on your mind?” Shaohan said immediately before she was able to let Zongxian go through another round of guessing games. For some reason, when the elder vampire had something important to tell, he never came straight out with it. Rather he set Shaohan up to spend nearly an hour figuring out the big news. Until Shaohan finally was about ready to snap and Zongxian told what it was on his mind.
  6. Zongxian walked to the desk and seated himself on the edge, his eyes staring into Shaohan’s while his mouth set into a slight pout. “You really had to take the fun out of things, didn’t you?”
  7. “Fun for you, perhaps,” Shaohan said.
  8. “Isn’t that the whole point anyway?” Zongxian chuckled.
  9. “Now, tell me what’s up,” Shaohan said with a roll of her luscious eyes. Zongxian pouted for another moment before getting serious.
  10. “Well, I just wanted to let you know that Jiukong has something planned.”
  11. “Something planned?” Shaohan frowned. “What the hell does that stupid half breed have planned now?”
  12. “If I knew I would have told you by now. After all, the boy is your pet.”
  13. Shaohan scowled at the remark, her eyes searing Zongxian with a stern warning. The older vampire only shrugged with a pleasant smile, unfazed by the seething glare. “You know I’m not the only one who said that. That’s the unanimous sentiment of the entire Faruxue clan.”
  14. “Not again,” Shaohan growled. The fact that this was not the first time someone within the clan referred Jiukong as Shaohan’s Pet. “How many times will I have to reiterate before they ever listen?”
  15. “It must be hard to stop the clan members from thinking he’s yours. Minutes ago, while Hanxin was leaving for the night to hunt, he told me to pass you a message,” Zongxian said.
  16. “Message, what message?” Shaohan’s brow arched as she stared at her friend.
  17. “To keep that pet of yours on a leash. I’m tired of it wandering into my territory as and when it pleases,” came a voice that was not Zongxian’s. Two pairs of eyes shifted towards the still open study door to find a young man with silver hair. His dark blue eyes flicked over both Shaohan and Zongxian, before resting on Shaohan solely. “You have no idea how irritating that hunter can be when I’m feeding.”
  18. “What do you want?” Shaohan growled, protracting her fangs. Her ruby eyes flashed a warning for the other vampire to leave, but the newcomer did not heed the warning. Pompously, he walked into the study, daring to stare the Heiress of Faruxue right in the eyes.
  19. This vampire, to Shaohan’s distaste, was her younger half brother Hanxin. Hanxin was conceived by Shaohan’s father and his mistress of a lower-class clan in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Shaohan was around six when she learned of her two-year old brother after her father brought the child to Shaohan’s grandfather, asking the old man for the child to be accepted into the family.
  20. Apparently, Hanxin’s mother was fleeing her clan after a group of hunters learned of their existence. Supposedly she made it as far as Tainan province before the vampire hunters tracked her down, killing her. They would have killed the child too, had it not been for a pack of demons. It was those demons that found the two year old with a letter clenched in his hands and delivered him to the Faruxue family.
  21. It wasn’t long before everyone in the clan knew the child belonged to Shaohan’s father, with the uncanny resemblances between them. For some, Shaohan’s grandfather allowed the child to be embraced into the family. Hanxin was the secondary heir of the clan, should anything untoward happen to Shaohan. The minute Shaohan was introduced to her half brother, a deep resentment grew. She was certain that her mother felt just as resentful despite her utmost care to the young boy. For a while, Shaohan hated her father for introducing such an unwanted addition to the family.
  22. “My, my, what a temper you have today, Shaohan?” Hanxin said smugly. “I wonder what could be eating at you? Worried about me doing something to your pet.” It was no secret between members of the Faruxue family that Shaohan hated Hanxin, and the sentiment was mutual. Hanxin enjoyed irritating his half sister to no ends. One of his favourite subjects, of course, was banter about Shaohan owning Jiukong.
  23. “I see I’m going to have to rip off your windpipe today, isn’t it, Hanxin?” Shaohan said, getting up from her leather chair.
  24. “Zongxian, is it just me, or does my elder sister intend to threaten my life so much. If I didn’t know any better, she wants me out of her way,” Hanxin replied with mocked surprise. “The heiress to the Faruxue clan has quite a temper, I suppose. If she doesn’t watch it, that will spell her downfall eventually. Or maybe a bit of information I heard Jiukong ranting over while he was leaving tonight with a pack of street dragons.”
  25. “Street dragons?” Zongxian said.
  26. “That’s right, I saw him leaving with a pack of street dragons. Something about killing the head of the Feilunhai Family if I’m right. I think the boy is quite foolish to think something like that will happen. If I didn’t know anything better, he’s trying to impress you, Shaohan,” Hanxin smiled quite smugly. “So, you have a thing for the head of Feilunhai? I wonder what grandfather would say about this?”
  27. “So, what are you trying to drive at? Trying to blackmail me Hanxin?” Shaohan questioned, her fangs showing. “That would be impossible. You have no proof but the word of a lovesick half-breed who has been after me since the time he was twelve. You obviously aren’t going to try to say that I’m not in my right state of mind to take over the clan when grandfather hands it over to me, are you, Hanxin?”
  28. “I haven’t breathed a word, my dear sister. I’m just saying that with your reputation, it would come as a shock to the whole vampiric fraternity. But I think I’ve said too much already. You should probably worry about that hunter of yours before Jiukong gets too him,” Hanxin pointed out.
  29. “I have no cause for worry about either,” Shaohan snorted, taking her seat once again.
  30. “Oh, so you aren’t worried? Then I must have been mistaken about your interest in the hunter. I hear that he’s quite a good catch amongst his human counterparts,” Hanxin said, turning from his sister. “See you later then, brethren.”
  31. Shaohan and Zongxian watched Hanxin leave the room, silence returning to the room momentarily before Zongxian spoke. His eyes shifted back to Shaohan who was leaning back against her chair, eyes closed as if thinking. “Your poker face was flawless. I suppose that you’re going out to make sure that the half breed won’t try anything until you figure this hunter out.”
  32. “I’m not worried about Wuzun,” Shaohan said simply, opening her eyes. “Jiukong is underestimating what he thinks is his prey. I would doubt that the head of Feilunhai would fall so easily into a trap set by an idiot.”
  33. “Then I suppose the one that will need to be saved, would be Jiukong,” Zongxian snickered, but Shaohan didn’t say a word. “I see then. I suppose that you want to see what the vampire hunter is capable of doing. Again you tend to amaze me with your thoughts, Zhang Shaohan. I guess we will see the outcome then.”
  34. Chapter Fourteen
  35. “By chance, do you have any idea about a clan of vampires known as the Faruxue clan?” Wuzun asked Yichen.
  36. “Faruxue...the name sounds familiar, but it doesn’t ring a bell right now. I’m sure if you asked your Ah-Ma, she’d know a lot more about that particular group. So I suppose your love interest is related to this clan?”
  37. “Love interest?”
  38. “The vampiress who has been on your mind these days.”
  39. “Don’t talk rot. Anyway, that vampiress may actually be the heiress to that clan. I’m running on a guess, but her name is probably Zhang Shaohan,” Wuzun explained. “From what I’ve heard, she never hesitates to kill a human she crosses., be it a woman or a child, young or old.”
  40. “Interesting. Heirs to two families of the living and dead falling in love, now that’s a real supernatural match,” Yichen grinned. Wuzun scowled at his friend.
  41. “Nonsense. A love relationship between the human race and the demonic race is forbidden, remember. And who’s to say that she likes me,” Wuzun countered.
  42. “Well, you can never tell what’s on a person’s mind...or in this case, a vampire’s mind,” Yichen voiced. While the two were upstairs in Wuzun’s room conversing over things, they had no idea that the Feilunhai household was under surveillance. Of course the figure hiding in the bushes five metres away from the house, knew about the enchanted fences surrounding the entire house. The minute he found himself near it, his vampire sense alerted him to the counter-demonic magic in the air.
  43. The vampire was none other than the big-nosed Jiukong. He pet the head of the street dragon at his side growling with anticipation, three more were panting ferociously behind him. It really had been a while since they tasted human flesh.
  44. “Once I get rid of this stupid human garbage, Shaohan will have no choice but to acknowledge me!” Jiukong whispered to himself. “And then everyone in the clan will know that I’m not worthless. Just because I’m not as pure as Shaohan, they all despise me. But once I end Wuzun’s life, they will have no choice but to see how great my power is.” The dog beside him growled, while Jiukong stroke its scaly skin. “Oh, don’t worry, you and your brothers will taste flesh. You can rip him to pieces.”
  45. Jiukong was about to laugh fanatically when he heard voices out in the open-space carpark where he was. Adjusting his eyes, he found a little girl cycling through the driving circuit. A boy with short spiky hair was ahead of her, both kids looked to be roughly between ten and twelve.
  46. “Ella, will you please hurry up,” the boy said to the girl.
  47. “I’m trying to catch up, Aaron!” the girl said.
  48. “Alright, you take your time then. I’ll wait for you at the other side,” Aaron pointed to a row of heavy vehicles that were parked adjacent to where Jiukong crouched in the shrubs. “Ah-Ma told us not to be out too long at night. After what happened to Xinlin, she doesn’t want to take any chances.”
  49. “I know. Let’s go back then.”Aaron said. Jiukong thought that was a perfect opportunity to send a message to the Feilunhai clan.
  50. Looking at the tongue-lashing street dragons, he nodded with twisted excitement. “Do as you wish with them. They’re of no concern to me.” These small dragons didn’t need another word as they raced towards the two thinking they would get an easy kill. Of course, neither the dragons nor Jiukong knew that both kids were highly equipped to handle such small threats.
  51. Surprisingly though, Ella heard the faint sounds before Aaron did, turning her head just in time to see an object leaping upon them. “Aaron!”
  52. “Huh?” It didn’t take Aaron long to sense the diabolic presence, jumping out the way as the creature landed in the exact same spot he once was. Ella was behind him, her eyes on the snarling street dragon a foot away from her. “Where the hell did all these come from?”
  53. “You squirts aren’t as easy to kill as I thought.” Jiukong could not resist moving from out the shadows.
  54. “Who the hell are you?” Aaron shouted, pulling out a short sword he carried for self defence, and tossed it to Ella, before pulling out his own long sword. All the while not letting his eyes shift from Jiukong or the street dragons that surrounded him and Ella. Ella caught the weapon without letting her eyes stray from the beasts also.
  55. “I suppose I should introduce myself before I kill you, or else that’d be impolite of me. I am Jiukong, of the Faruxue clan of vampires. Tell me, by chance, are you of the Feilunhai clan.”
  56. “Why do you want to know? Need someone to kill you?” Aaron retorted.
  57. “Foolish boy,” Jiukong laughed before slipping up to the boy before he could blink. Raising his hand, he slammed Aaron against a blue Toyota. “You should know better than to talk back to one who is superior to you. For that sentence, death.” The street dragons lunged at Aaron who was trying to gather his bearings from the unsuspected attack.
  58. “Aaron!” Ella turned her eyes from Jiukong, sprinting towards Aaron and sliding in to stop one of the dragons from attaching itself to his head with the hilt of the sword. “Aaron, are you okay?”
  59. “Fine,” Aaron shook his head. “Duck!” The girl obeyed. Ian whirled his sword at the two beasts that was about to attack him from both above and behind. The blade sliced the first dragon in halves, while smashing the windscreen of a car into shattered glasses. “Ella, run and get help!”
  60. “What about you?” Ella inquired, parrying around the fourth dragon to kill the one that Aaron flung away from them.
  61. “I’ll be fine! Just go get Wuzun and the others!” Aaron struggled, finally flipping the roaring dragon off him. All of a sudden, from behind, he felt a sharp stab of pain slice through his side. Turning his head slightly, he found the big-nosed vampire smirking at him, before pulling his hand from Aaron’s side.
  62. “So, he is here. The one that I’m searching for,” Jiukong cackled, watching the boy drop to the ground bleeding profusely.
  63. “Aaron!” Ella quickly got rid of the beast blocking her way to race towards the one that was about to sink its teeth into the boy’s neck while the vampire watched. Knowing she wasn’t going to make it in time, she pranced into the air, hurling the short sword at the dragon. Jiukong felt the blade graze his cheek before spearing the creature in the mid section then impaling it to the ground. All that weight training she did when Wuzun was away on missions finally served a purpose.
  64. “You...scarred me...you bitch,” Jiukong growled, turning his full attention to her. Ella had little time to block as a wave of pure energy ripped into her shoulder, smashing her against a maple tree by the force. Ella let out a shriek of pain, on the verge of blacking out before a hand clenched around her throat.
  65. “El...la...” Aaron tried to get up, but pain enveloped him, making it hard to focus on moving. “Damn...it...”
  66. “Stay where you are boy. You’re lucky I didn’t kill you on the spot. I want to deal with your little friend right here,” Jiukong sneered. His crimson eyes taking joy in the pain exhibited on the little girl’s face. “It’s a shame you have to die girl. I needed a slave too.”
  67. “Go back...to...hell...where...you came...from,” Ella managed to choke out. “My brother’s...going to...kill you...”
  68. “Your brother huh? He wouldn’t happen to be Wuzun, heir of Feilunhai, I suppose? Because if he is, I’m going to take the greatest joy in ending your life and ripping your body apart, limb by limb, organ by organ.” Jiukong was about to cackle, when a sudden kiss of cold hard steel rested against his vocal box.
  69. “And if her brother happens to be the heir of the Feilunhai Family, I’m afraid you won’t live long enough either. You should have never laid a finger on my sister. Now I’m going to carve your lungs out so you can never boast about something you’ll never, ever be able to do.”
  70. Jiukong dropped the girl, who immediately passed out on the ground. The big-nosed vampire turned around to face his opponent. What he met was the seething eyes of his “rival-in-love”. And now that he’s seen what this Feilunhai heir looked like, Jiukong wanted nothing more than to drag out his suffering. “So, you’re Wuzun.”
  71. It was more of a statement than a question, because Jiukong knew this was the human trash that enchanted Shaohan’s interest with those long lashes that slid over those icy blue eyes. This human was much taller than Jiukong was; his figure lean and well built for the kind of hunting he did on a daily basis. Oh, and that was not all. Jiukong wanted to run his claws deep into this young man's skin and disfigure the handsome face that scowled at him. How dare a lowly human acquire Shaohan’s attention, let alone a human hunter. It was unacceptable, and Jiukong vowed to end it soon.
  72. “And who might you be?” Wuzun inquired, keeping a good grasp on his sword as he watched the creature for signs it might attack.
  73. Wuzun wondered if this was the same vampire that attacked Xinlin and Mingdao. And if it was, why was it going after members of the Feilunhai Family...actually...why was it coming after him? That was the main question. More than likely for a vampire that Wuzun probably killed.
  74. “You don’t deserve to know who I am,” Jiukong hissed. “Just know that I will kill you and make sure you never can see the light of day again.”
  75. Wuzun turned his eyes on Yichen who was attending to Aaron’s injuries. Wuzun really hoped that Calvin and Jiro would get here by now. He didn’t want to fight with Aaron and Ella still here. Wuzun turned his eyes back on his sister, a feeling of both fear and anger rising in him. This creature could have killed her and Aaron if he hadn’t sense the presence of diabolic energies outside Feilunhai Estate.
  76. “Trust you to say something like that,” Wuzun smirked. “After all, I’m about to kill you and yet you’re trying to threaten me. Perhaps, you’re just plain stupid.”
  77. “I’ll show you what ‘stupid’ is!” Jiukong lunged at Wuzun, who easily evaded the vampire’s moves. This hunter wasn’t stupid. He anticipated Jiukong’s movement and calmly avoided it. “I see that you’re going to be a great kill,” Jiukong said. “To make this more exciting how about we play a game of cat-and-mouse before you die.”
  78. “Before I die?” Wuzun uttered with disbelief. “Still being cocky, huh. I’m not the one that’s going to die tonight. But I shall grant your last wish if that’s the kind of game you want.”
  79. This was the opportunity he needed to distract the vampire’s attention away from Yichen, Aaron, and his sister. If he followed in this game, it would give Calvin and Jiro time to help Yichen and return to the house. They knew he would be able to handle himself. If anything, it wouldn’t take too long to defeat it.
  80. “Follow me then, human.” Jiukong slipped into the shadows of the trees, but Wuzun was easily able to track the thing’s movement by its demonic aura. Turning his eyes on Yichen who was doing her best to stop the Aaron’s bleeding, he frowned. Yichen could feel what Wuzun was thinking and raised her eyes.
  81. “Be careful, and don’t worry about us. I think Calvin and Jiro are on their way now. I’ll make sure Ella gets proper attention,” Yichen said. Yichen didn’t like the feeling that shook her body as she applied pressure to Aaron’s wound. Something was going to happen to Wuzun; she could feel it right down to his bones. She refrained from telling her best friend because the last thing she wanted was to create more anxiety.
  82. “Thanks. And tell them not to follow after me,” Wuzun said. “I can handle it by myself.”
  83. Wuzun tuned his ears to the shuffling sounds of the swaying trees and adjusted his eyes quickly to the shadows and lights in the woods. This was probably his best attribute of being a hunter. When it came to seeing in the dark, he was able to easily focus no matter the situation. That creature already had a good head start over him, but that didn’t mean a thing. With hunting skills as advanced as Wuzun’s there was no way this thing would outdo him.
  84. Of course, what neither Jiukong nor Wuzun knew was that someone else was stealthily watching their fight. Sitting high up on the branch of a maple tree was, of course, Hanxin – Shaohan’s half brother. He was interested in finding out just how well this human lived up to the rumours he heard.
  85. Jiukong may not have noticed it, but there was indeed something about this hunter. If Hanxin didn’t know any better, it felt slightly demonic. That aura was close to the power that naturally coursed through the veins of vampires. However, Hanxin could not pinpoint the exact feel of this hunter’s aura. So, whatever power it was could be just about anything. He was bent on finding out the truth about this hunter.
  86. Jiukong hid more than one trick in his sleeves. What Hanxin did not tell his half sister was that Jiukong not only took street dragons with him, but that one disobedient giant werewolf no one bothered to train properly. Hanxin had amusingly watched Jiukong struggle to tie the animal up then drag it snarling along with him and the street dragons. If the hunter appeared to be in trouble, Hanxin would immediately step in to save his new prey. Still, Hanxin had a feeling that wouldn’t be necessary. “I have a feeling that you aren’t going to let someone like that kill you, am I right Wuzun?”
  87. On the ground as he continued his way through the trees, Wuzun stopped for a second, feeling a chill rise up his spine, he could feel someone watching him from somewhere. It wasn’t that vampire that attacked Aaron and Ella - it was of a different feel. Is another way laying wait for me? He thought. I’ll have to be on my guard.
  88. Pushing his way through another set of trees, the back of Wuzun’s hair quickly bristled at the base of his neck. Something was headed for him, the smell of blood carrying in the wind. Holding his sword in a defense that could be for either offense or defense, he pressed his back against a tree making sure that which ever way it came from, and with him being centered in the middle, he would have enough opportunity to counter. Sweat formed on his brow as he waited.
  89. The unnatural silence of the trees was finally broken when Wuzun heard something trotting at him in a fast run. Bushes were pushed aside as a slick black object came to a stop in the clearing. By the beams of light that peaked through the tree tops from the rising full moon, Wuzun could clearly see the abnormally humongous werewolf. Its sulfur yellow eyes locked with Wuzun’s, murder and bloodlust glistening in the light. Large bear-like claws dug into the ground as the werewolf’s coal-black fur bristled, a deep rumble vibrating its chest. A putrid smell of blood wafted the air around Wuzun and the creature, causing him to involuntarily gag.
  90. ‘The saliva...is blood...this can’t be...’ Wuzun gripped his sword as the sweat on his brow trickled down the side of his face.
  91. Wuzun once heard stories about werewolves as black as shadows created from the blood of humans, demons, and ogres for the single purpose of destruction. The few accounts given, mainly on the last dying breath of the victim, described a putrid smell thickening the air, suffocating the unlucky victim while the werewolf feasted on the innards. Covering his nose and mouth with his left hand, he moved away from the tree he was pressed against, he kept his eyes on the wolf. He was hoping that he could get a breath of fresh air.
  92. Unfortunately, the werewolf chose that moment to break into a run at him. With little time to raise his sword up, Wuzun barely managed to dodge the leaping, snarling beast. Immediately catching another breath of the filthy air, Wuzun’s head swam with nausea. His stomach heaved, but remained stable for the time being. He had to take this thing out no matter what before he became a victim.
  93. That vampire that attacked Ella and Aaron wasn’t as stupid as he’d thought. He gave the hell spawn some credit for giving him something to fight – one he had never dealt with before. If he came out of this battle in one piece, he would have another notch to add to his belt in being the first person to survive an attack by a giant werewolf. Or perhaps, it wasn’t that big-nosed vampire. Maybe that other presence watching him sent the werewolf to test his ability.
  94. The werewolf again pounced on Wuzun, targeting his neck. Bringing up his sword, Wuzun managed to catch the beast in the face, slicing a large gap to the creature’s throat. Blood sprayed from the wound, covering Wuzun’s face and clothing. The werewolf leapt away from him, still growling despite the vicious wound it suffered at the hunter’s sword. Wuzun on the other hand, felt the smell of the blood burn into his nose, filling his lungs and wrenching the breath from his body.
  95. Nausea took over, as he collapsed to his knees. Dropping his sword, bile slipped from his mouth as he fought to get rid of the blood on his face. He should have been more cautious to avoid the blood, but how was he to know that it was so suicidal to leap into the blade. Another wave of bile flowed from his lips as the smell continued to strangle him. Glancing up, he found the werewolf sluggishly approaching, blood pouring from its mouth. It wasn’t going to last long from the wound, so was it still trying to kill him?
  96. Grabbing his sword, Wuzun staggered to his feet, trying to clear his burning lungs. Staggering back, he felt the walls of his lungs closing, trying to squeeze air back into his body. Flailing his arm for a tree branch to grab hold of, he only met with air, which caused him to stumble and fall on his back. A wave of bile rose, and as he turned his head to vomit again, something warm washed over his neck before he felt razor sharp teeth graze his neck. This was not the way he wanted to end his life.
  97. Raising both his arms, he grabbed the werewolf by its throat, trying to wrestle with it. Of course that was a losing battle. His eyes were already becoming gritty, dimming from the lack of oxygen in his lungs. Just as he was cursing his bad luck for being put in such a situation, Wuzun felt a power pulsating from his chest spreading throughout his entire body. The stench filling his lungs seeped out of his pores, curling around the werewolf.
  98. Hanxin, who was just about to help Wuzun, kept his reservations upon witnessing a blue aura emitting from the hunter’s body. And for those brief seconds, the demonic scent of the supernatural filled the atmosphere. Heavy rains began to pour from the thunderous skies. Hanxin was not mistaken when he suspected the aura was that of a vampire. But Wuzun was human, that he was certain of, so...how could a human take on the aura of a pure vampire?
  99. Under the rain, Hanxin kept watch. To his surprise, the power that followed around Wuzun engulfed the werewolf, lifting it several feet into the air. A shrilled whine filled the air as the energy violent tore apart the werewolf before his eyes. Once there was nothing but a shredded pile of meat and furskin left, soaked in rainwater and blood. The violent energy swept back over the hunter who had passed out. The rain stopped, bringing back the usual silence. Lifting his body into the air, the “energy” cradled him like a mother.
  100. Eventually, the “energy” carried him over to a tree and laid him underneath it before entering his body. The air went back to normal along with the hunter’s scent. Sliding from the tree, Hanxin carefully walked up to the hunter, kneeling down beside him. Interesting enough, the energy neutralised the smell of the werewolf and repaired whatever damage he took.
  101. “You really are one fascinating individual. Not only are you beautiful, but you have the most interesting little secret. I must have you for my own.”
  102. “Unless you would like to die right now, you will back away from me,” Wuzun threatened. How the hell did he end up under a tree when he was just laying on the ground with that werewolf over him? Had this vampire helped him out, after he blacked out?
  103. “You’re awake. You never fail to fascinate me, Wuzun,” Hanxin said, getting to his feet.
  104. “Who are you and how do you know my name? What happened to that werewolf? Were you the one that unleashed it after me?” Wuzun realized that this thing reminded him of the head vampiress of the Faruxue clan. Getting up from the ground, Wuzun raised his weapon just in case he needed it.
  105. “You have nothing to fear from me,” Hanxin said. “I mean you no harm.”
  106. “I’ve heard that before,” Wuzun snorted. “How do you know my name?”
  107. “Most vampires have heard the name of the Feilunhai clan. I just so happened to know that you are head of the family by word of mouth. My name is Zhang Hanxin, and I’m the second heir of the Faruxue vampire clan. I’m aware that you know my elder sister, Shaohan.” Hanxin allowed the words to sink in before he moved.
  108. Chapter Fifteen
  109. So, that vampiress was indeed the heiress to that Faruxue clan of vampires I heard. And this was her younger brother. It all made sense to me now, how he knew my name. But I still had to be careful. I wasn’t going to make an amateur mistake by letting my guard down and that other vampire attacking me from behind. I had no way of knowing if those two were playing cat and mouse with me.
  110. “What do you want from me?” I asked Hanxin.
  111. “You have no need to be suspicious of me. I came because I wanted to meet you. The werewolf and the attack on your family had nothing to do with me,” Hanxin said. “That was the big-nosed idiot’s idea.”
  112. “Was he also the one that attacked my two cousins?” I asked. For some reason, I was getting the vibe that this vampire didn’t care about hunting me nor my family.
  113. “I suppose I could tell you why he attacked your cousins, you, and your sister.”
  114. “But you want something in return, right?” That’s how it always went. Demons did not do things without a price, whether it's blood, children, or women.
  115. “It’s not much what I want. Just that you don’t get killed. Not asking too much is it. I suppose you thought I would ask for your blood. I have more upbringing than that. You’re too beautiful to drain, and I doubt my sister Shaohan would remain lenient towards me for such an act, which brings me to why Jiukong is trying to kill you.”
  116. “What reason would that be?” I asked, wondering if all the members of the Faruxue family were like that, or whether it was just Shaohan and her brother. And what was up with this Jiukong vampire thing anyway?
  117. “Well, the truth is that those two have known each other since they childhood. Jiukong has always admired Shaohan, who was the first person within the Faruxue family to acknowledge the half breed mutt. One of his parents was a turned vampire and he still has the stench of human blood within him. Jiukong loves Shaohan, and will do anything to get her approval, even kill those who stand in his way. And you, Wuzun, are one of those things that stand in his way to get Shaohan. So he plans to eliminate you. Mind you, Jiukong is also a Faruxue vampire,” Hanxin smiled.
  118. “Hanxin!” I turned around to find the big-nosed vampire glaring at him, fuming.
  119. “Ah, speaking of the mutt himself,” Hanxin said.
  120. “Funny,” Jiukong hissed. “Did you help him?”
  121. “Of course not Jiukong, getting involved in someone else's affairs when there's no personal gain for myself is simply out of the question. I was just speaking with the young hunter, that’s about all. He intrigues me. Do you have a problem with that?” Hanxin turned an eye upon Jiukong with a brow arched.
  122. “He’s my prey, mind you,” Jiukong snapped. “Go get your own,”
  123. “Prey? I doubt that he could be your prey when he just killed the werewolf single-handedly,” Hanxin replied. He watched Jiukong’s eyes widen, then narrowed with fury.
  124. “That’s a damn lie! No human could neutralize the power of blood magic without knowing how to use blood magic in the first place! You helped him, didn’t you,” Jiukong snarled.
  125. “I don’t like being called a liar, idiot,” Hanxin said in a low even tone. “You don’t have to believe me, but be warned that a power close to that of a vampire’s dwells inside of him. When he is threatened, it will rise up and destroy you. I have nothing more to say.” And with that, Hanxin was gone into the darkness of the night, leaving me and the disgruntled vampire alone.
  126. What in the world though, did Hanxin mean when he said that I had a power close to that of a vampire inside me? There was no way that such a thing was possible. When I was knocked out, it had to be Hanxin that saved my life. My parents were human, I was human, and everyone within the clan was human. No way could that be possible, that I bore the spirit of a vampire.
  127. Jiukong turned his furious eyes upon me, snarling. “A power close to a vampire inside you...impossible, all I smell is the stench of human blood. The only thing special about you is your luck. That Shaohan has taken a liking for you.”
  128. “Hurting my sister was unforgivable,” I countered. “I could care less about that vampire heiress to the Faruxue clan. I could care less what you feel I’ve done, but you caused my family pain, so I will make your death swift.” Raising my sword, I raced toward Jiukong.
  129. “I’m tired of playing with you! Now you die!” Opening his hands, Jiukong summoned what appeared to be thousands of crimson and sulphur coloured serpents. The creatures hissed, before racing at me with their venomous fangs bared.
  130. “You think that’s going to work on me. Didn’t anyone tell you anything, I have the power to negate vampire magic?” My body began to glow with a light bluish energy as the power of the serpents were easily dispersed.
  131. “No!” Jiukong said. “You...I’m not backing down from you!”
  132. “Then prepare to die!” I raised my sword to chest level, dodging the attacks that were thrown at me. The glow around my body turned another shade of blue as I swung my sword, the blow striking the half breed down with a diagonal slash across the chest. Blood sprayed everywhere, as Jiukong made another attempt to attack me. I could feel the energy in his hand connecting with my right arm.
  133. I moved away from the half breed, my left hand pressing on to my injured right arm. I had no choice but to drop my sword. Looking down, I could see a gaping hole that burned all the way down to my tendons and bone. I wouldn’t be able to use right hand for a while with an injury like this. Either that, or I was going to have to learn to use my left hand instead.
  134. “Now we’re even...” Jiukong smirked, gripping his chest. “Your little power wasn’t enough to save that arm of yours. You probably will never be able to move it again. I wish it was your face, then you will never be able to see Shaohan again.”
  135. “That’s enough Jiukong,” a familiar female voice said.
  136. I froze, turning my eyes to where Shaohan was walking with a disappointed look on her face. She shifted her eyes toward me, then to Jiukong who was running to her.
  137. “Shaohan, I...” Jiukong said.
  138. “Save it Jiukong,” Shaohan interrupted. Walking over to me, she gripped my right wrist, staring at the wound. “You avoided the veins at close range, impressive.”
  139. “What do you think you’re doing?” I hissed as Shaohan applied pressure to the wound, a green glow surrounding both her hands and my wrist. When Shaohan moved her hands away, my arm was whole once more. No sign of injury at all!
  140. “The least you can say is thank you,” Shaohan grinned in that half smile that always showed off the tips of her fangs. “It would have taken months before that would have healed.”
  141. “Shaohan, how could you—?” Jiukong started again before Shaohan interrupted.
  142. “Shut up, Jiukong.” Focusing dark auburn eyes on the half breed in question, she gave the big-nosed vampire a threatening glare. “Go back to the Faruxue manor right now. I’ll be on my way.”

No comments: